ASEAN New Zealand Business Council – one pathway to ten markets
ANZBC is a member based business council connecting New Zealand businesses with ASEAN trading partners. It provides to New Zealand traders doing business with ASEAN nations an organisation to advocate their concerns and where they can network, seek contacts, learn about the markets and be assisted in many other ways in their ASEAN business efforts.
It is the only organisation in NZ solely focused on all 10 ASEAN nations and offers a “one stop shop” for business between NZ and ASEAN, acknowledged as an effective and proactive business council responsive to members and valued by Governments and their agencies in both NZ and South East Asia.
Formation: The council was formed in 1998 and was an amalgam of several individual bilateral business councils representing countries who now form part of the ASEAN region.
Structure: The Council is a not for profit incorporated society funded solely by member subscriptions, corporate sponsorships and revenue from member activities. There is no funding from Government – neither NZ nor within ASEAN.
ANZBC has Chapters representing each ASEAN nation. ANZBC therefore organises both pan-ASEAN and individual Chapter activities.
Services to members:
• Regular members’ events (approx. one per month) are hosted with expert guest speakers and networking
• Occasional much larger ASEAN forums (e.g. the Indonesia Forum 2012, The AUT / ANZBC ASEAN Forum 2015) are organised.
• The Australasian based ASEAN Heads of Mission are hosted in Auckland.
• Individual ASEAN Chapters organise chapter activities.
• ANZBC works with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, NZ Trade & Enterprise the Office of Ethnic Affairs and the Asia NZ Foundation on their ASEAN focused events.
• With partner Export NZ, ANZBC has organised and participated in outbound Trade Missions, to Viet Nam/Singapore in 2011, Malaysia/Brunei 2012, Indonesia in 2013 and 2014, Malaysia and Singapore in 2015
• Inbound trade delegations from throughout ASEAN are received and assisted.
• Regular editions of our informative newsletter Action ASEAN are emailed. To subscribe please click here
- The Next Generation Strategy Group has been formed and is now underway; a group for young professionals with an interest in ASEAN to apply to join to meet likeminded colleagues and produce concrete deliverables to further their understanding of the region.
• Links are established and growing with NZ Chambers and business organisations in ASEAN member states.
• ANZBC is an active participant in the ASEAN Business Advisory Council and the Joint “ASEAN plus One” Business Councils aligned to the ASEAN Business Advisory Council based in Jakarta.
• Whilst an independent Council, relationships with ASEAN and NZ Government agencies are cordial and complementary and ANZBC acts as the voice of members to Governments on trading and business issues.
• ANZBC participates with Asia NZ Foundation in the administration of the NZ Governments ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative.